Sahara Turkish Cuisine
Brussels Sprouts and Pepper Appetizer
You’ll see this kind of appetizers quite a lot in the Turkish cuisine. They are a staple of the region and can be made with different vegetables as well.
Time: 45 minutes
– 16 oz. Brussels sprouts, halved
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 cup pearl onions
– 2 garlic cloves, chopped
– 1 cup crushed tomatoes
– 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
– 1 green pepper, sliced
– 2 tablespoons tomato paste
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Pour a few cups of water in a pot and bring it to a boil with a pinch of salt.
2. Throw in the sprouts and cook them for 5 minutes then drain them well.
3. Heat the oil in a skillet and stir in the onions and garlic.
4. Sauté for 5 minutes then add the tomatoes, paprika, pepper and tomato paste.
5. Bring the sauce to a boil then add the sprouts.
6. Cook 10 additional minutes just until the sauce is reduced and thickened.
7. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper and serve the appetizer chilled.